From their origin the Daughters of Charity have served the sick poor, seeing this as a continuation of Christ’s healing ministry.
With the changing scenario in health care and following a programme of rationalisation, they have moved out of several hospitals in Ireland in recent years. Including:
- St Joseph’s Hospital, Coole, Co Westmeath
- St Vincent’s Hospital, Mountmellick, Co Laois
- The North Infirmary, Cork
- St Vincent’s Psychiatric Hospital, Fairview, Dublin
- St Anne’s Hospital, Northbrook Road, Dublin
- Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin
In keeping with their long tradition in cancer care dating back ninety years the Daughters of Charity have been involved at the service level at St Francis Hospice Raheny Dublin since its foundation in 1989.