Other schools were opened later in response to requests. As time went on, some were perceived as not serving disadvantaged people and after evaluation the Daughters of Charity withdrew and handed them over to others in order to move on to meet more pressing needs.
Teaching was one of the first works undertaken by the Daughters of Charity who came to Drogheda in 1855, and North William Street, Dublin in 1857.
The Daughters of Charity came to Belfast in 1900 where child labour in the linen mills was one of the unhappy effects of the industrial revolution. To facilitate the children who were employed, the sisters introduced a school for ‘half-timers’. It continued as a primary school until 1989.
Currently the Daughters of Charity are involved in education at primary, special needs and secondary levels in Belfast, Cork, Dublin and Limerick.
St Vincent's Boy's National School, North William Street, Dublin
St Vincent's Girl's National School, North William Street, Dublin
St Louise's Junior School, Ballyfermot, Dublin
St Louise's Senior School, Ballyfermot, Dublin
Special Needs Schools
St Vincent's Special School, Navan Road, Dublin
St Michael's Special School, Glenmaroon, Dublin
Special Education Project, Henrietta Street, Dublin
St Vincent's Special School, Lisnagry, Co Limerick